Monday, March 19, 2007

Searching For Happiness

I am a musician. I have played trumpet since I was eight years old. I've played in many groups, from the beginner band I started with in elementary school to the various community bands I play with currently. I've gotten enormous personal satisfaction from playing music and intend to do so as long as I am able. One of the groups that had a huge impact on my life is the music ministry I play with at my local church. If you are musically inclined in any way, I highly recommend some participation in a music ministry at your place of worship.

The community I grew up in is medium sized. The church parish my parents belonged to as I was growing up was at the time a growing community full of energetic and eager people. I attended elementary school at the school associated with the church. Later in life, after I left the area I grew up in and then returned as an adult, I gradually started performing with the brass ensemble associated with the choir at the same church where I attended elementary school. The more I performed with this group, the more I realized the rewards I received were more than expected.

Musicians usually form camaraderie after performing in a group together for a while. It is hard for me to pinpoint exactly why that happens - I chalk it up to the common element of music. Everyone in a band plays together to produce music. Everyone plays a part - if any one part is missing, the whole suffers.

I experienced this camaraderie with the church music ministry before long. What I also experienced is the wonderful group of people associated with this ministry. In addition to the brass ensemble of five members, we have a vocal choir of 25-30 people, and five additional musicians playing piano, bass, guitar, clarinet and flute. Being a part of this group, I was instantly invited to the regular social gatherings and parties. They welcomed me with open arms. Sure, I've been part of social groups before - but the nature of these people is something I've found to be exceptional.

It seems that when you experience tough times or hardships, you really find out who your friends are. Thankfully, I haven't had a lot of really rough times in my life so far. I've found that my friends from this music ministry have been there for me when I have had moments of need. When in the process of purchasing my first home one of my friends from the music ministry actually offered me a one-day loan when my own funds for the down payment were still in the process of being cleared by the bank.

I've really admired and respected the way this group comes together in times of sorrow. Recently, the father of several members of the choir passed away. I attended the wake services and saw not only a large amount of members from the choir in attendance, but several members of the parish attending to show their love and support. That moment showed me that these people are truly family, and the bond we share is strong and enduring.

I certainly received more than I bargained for in joining this group. Little did I know that I would end up meeting the woman who eventually became my wife through this music ministry. What can I say; you meet the best people this way :) My time spent playing music with this group has given me so many blessings and I'm happy to continue making music with them for many years to come.

So there you have it I get to share my love of music with some great people each and every week. Their friendship and the music we make have provided me with a great source of happiness.

P.S. Don't think that you couldn't join a musical group if you don't play an instrument. There are plenty of choirs out there looking for singers.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?