Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Long weekend knitting

Why is it that I always forget how much I hate knitting and sewing together tiny pieces of things??? For example, I had two tiny sleeves and one tiny left front of a baby cardi knitted and lying on the coffee table, and thought to myself:
"Self, you're really going to curse when you start sewing these tiny pieces together! Why do you always forget how much you hate knitting and sewing tiny pieces of things together?"
So I frogged both sleeves and tiny left front, and started the baby cardi again with my favourite one-piece, raglan-sleeved, from-the-neck-down, permanently-recorded-in-my-head pattern. Much better! Finished the cardi and sewed on its buttons by mid-Sunday, and have a second little sweater nearly half done. I think what I like best about knitting neck-down is using this basic shape and adding my own design touches. I did baby cardi #1 in a stretchy rib & cable pattern, while #2 is in a lacey rib pattern.

While out walking in the rain last Saturday, I happened to pop into my new favorite book/coffee spot, and discovered the Fall 2005 Interweave Knits was already on the bookshelves. Yes! Reminded me of how you could tell summer had truly arrived when the Sears Christmas Wishbook arrived in the mail box back when I was a youngster! Naturally, I perused my new IK much the same as I used to peruse the Wishbook . . . I want one of those, and one of those . . .
do you do that?

There certainly are some fascinating projects to daydream about. For instance, I was REALLY captivated by the Weekend Getaway Satchel but I don't know when or if I would ever use it (captivating put impractical). The combo of fair-isle and aran cables in the Fair Isle Hoodie & Cardi caught my eye. I can't think of when I've ever combined these two techniques in one project. Hmm. But then, perhaps it was the colours that caught my eye. Gorgeous! The project that kept drawing me back repeatedly was the Felted Floral Collar/Capelet. Those ridiculous flowers did nothing for me (they look like misplaced miscoloured lily pads!), but I kept envisioning this capelet in black (previous argument about black not being my favorite colour aside) with the I-cord braid loops transformed into Celtic knotwork in black and old gold. I don't know when or if I would actually wear this capelet, but I can't seem to get it out of my mind! Hmm . . . the model is done in Jamieson's Double Knitting 100% Shetland wool -- that's similar to some handspun I saw in Burnaby . . . which happened to be natural black . . .

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?